E is for Early Education (September 2017 Art A to Z)

For Day #275 of the 365 Days of Art


My youngest son painting at preschool in CA (2002)
I thought about listing a handful of nice quotes. 
I thought about linking up to some teacher websites that I love. 
Then I looked at this photo and I thought about driving my son to this preschool class. 
I thought about 'why' we brought him there. 
It was not for refrigerator art. 
It was not for something to do. 
It was to enrich his mind.
It was to allow him another opportunity to socialize in a structured setting and to have adult and peer influences that would shape him right now. 
And then this single quote jumped out at me.


"We worry about what a child will become tomorrow, yet we forget that he is someone today.” 
~Stacia Tauscher

 This quote reminds us to not forget the right now. 
I see so many parents lose out on bonding with their child because they are so focused - or serious - about the future. 
We "do" need to plan ahead, think ahead, and care for the future of our kids, but that future stuff can - and does - get in the way of "right now" - so be mindful to watch out for this. 

I am not going to give examples (not right now) 
but please pause today to love on your child - in the moment.

Let all the worry and stress and future considerations go away for a few hours and just laugh, enjoy your children, and let them feel your presence and essence. 

Enjoy who they are right now - because as Stacia noted in the quote - they are already "somebody today" and you might not have noticed because you were in such a hustle task-master parenting mode. 

Slow down, enjoy your children (of all ages). Don't be so competitive or so worried about "how they will turn out" - because without your love and interaction right now - future achievements have little weight.